EMS leadership scholarships recognize students who are developing an awareness of their unique inner "flame:" the talents, interests and gifts they have to offer the world. Recipients become student leaders who are involved year-round in a variety of programs that encourage other student participation and positively
The two endowed funds that support these scholarships are named for two alumnae.
The first honors the life of Carmen Strite Miller '71 who modeled kindness, generosity, and leadership that improved the people and organizations around her. Carmen provided leadership on the EMS Board of Directors from 1991-2001.
The second honors the life and example of Laura Bomberger '09 who was an EMS athlete, musician, student council leader and EMS summer employee. She credits her EMS experience as a stepping stone that equipped her with skills, perspective, and experiences to positively contribute to mission-focused work in her community and world.
Students who meet the following criteria are encouraged to apply:
- High school students who will enter grades 9 through 12 in the next school year.
- Students who have demonstrated strong academic performance. Students who will enter grade 9 from another school will be evaluated based on middle school grades and testing proficiency; homeschooled students will be evaluated based on review of course content and course work/testing. Recipients of the Carmen Strite Miller award will be encouraged to maintain a 3.0 GPA throughout their scholarship.
- Excellent character, strong communication skills, a service orientation, and a desire to participate in an active school community.
- Demonstrated leadership in student’s current school, congregation, and/or community organization.
- Current participation in a co-curricular activity such as sports, theatre, music, band, etc. Recipients are expected to continue participation in co-curricular activities at EMS. In addition, they must be members of the EMS WeServe club throughout their scholarship.
- An appreciation for the interconnectedness of all people, and a desire to make an impact on society.
To apply please:
- Complete the online scholarship application. Follow the link and fill out the form.
- Write an essay, no more than 250 words. Submit google document link in the online scholarship application form when prompted.
Select from the following writing prompts:
- How does a positive attitude play a role in leadership?
- Describe a leader you know who has responded to a challenge in a positive way. How has this person inspired you?
- Who is a leader you admire? Describe this person's leadership qualities.
- Are people born with leadership qualities or are those skills developed?
- Describe a global or local issue you feel passionately about, and explain how you could lead others to follow your cause.
- You may be invited for a personal interview with the Business Office Manager.
*Tuition rate is calculated based on published tuition rate minus any reductions in tuition. Scholarship discount will be applied after any reductions in tuition are calculated.