Homecoming 2021, Oct. 15-16
Join us for Homecoming Weekend, Oct. 15 and 16, 2021!
Click on the registration button (right), to register for breakfast, elementary building tours, the fun run/walk, and the picnic, all on Saturday.
Classes ending in 1 and 6 will have five-year reunion gatherings. Reunion details here.
Alumni, faculty and staff, students and families are welcome to all events!
COVID note: Please use your own discretion for attending in-person events. All school events will follow the current CDC COVID mitigation guidelines, including social distancing and masking. We encourage reunion groups to follow the same guidelines.
Contact Erin Kennedy Hess, advancement assistant.
firstname.lastname@example.org | 540-236-6025
Friday, October 15
10:05 a.m. -- Chapel featuring alumni panel. Guests may join by entering the upper building through the main office glass doors, checking in, and proceeding to the auditorium, or by livestream.
6 and 7 p.m. -- Girls JV and varsity volleyball, gymnasium, vs. Broadway. Free admissions for EMS families and alumni.
Saturday, October 16
8:30 to 10 a.m. -- Homecoming Breakfast (*Registration and Fee)
- Alumni are invited to a buffet breakfast in the EMS dining hall
- 9:15 a.m., program: Paul Leaman, head of school, will share an update and alumni recognitions.
10 a.m to noon -- Self-guided building tours through the upper (middle and high) and lower (elementary) buildings.
11:30 a.m. -- Touring Choir 2021 reunion, EMS Auditorium
11: 30 a.m. -- Fun Run/Walk for all ages around EMS fields and athletic fields, hosted by cross country team, approximately two miles. Free t-shirts to decorate beforehand. (*Registration)
Noon --Fan appreciation meal celebrating fall sports teams, hosted by the Booster Club and a great place for reunion groups to gather informally! (*Registration)
- EMS families and alumni welcome!
- Former faculty and staff are invited to lunch and gathering with old friends, hosted by Rebecca Yutzy and Jim Rush!
- The Booster Club will provide a meal with donations accepted.
- Drinks available to purchase.
- Bring lawn chairs and tableware to save on disposables.
- Alumni reunion groups can have tables reserved by letting the advancement office know of your interest.
1:30 p.m. -- Varsity boys soccer. EMS soccer fields. Free.
5 to 7:30 p.m. -- EMS Music Celebration, auditorium. Everyone is welcome to all or part of this evening. There will be a brief intermission between each section. Please wear a mask, and come to enjoy:
- The Rain Pickers, a recently formed Americana/folk group led by Perry Blosser ‘14, on mandolin
- Instrumental program featuring EMS Wind Ensemble, Orchestra, Strings, Jazz Ensemble
- Good Company, a capella group including Melodie Bomberger '01 May, Joel Ross '01, Kevin Eby '05, Nathan May '01.
- Choral program featuring Touring Choir (this year and last year's choirs), Chambers, congregational singing, and "Benediction," by Matthew Hunsberger ‘96, with alumni joining the circle.
Sunday, October 17
EMS will not hold a worship service or other activities on Sunday. Guests are welcome to join worship at Eastern Mennonite University's Lehman Auditorium, 10 a.m., as part of their Homecoming Weekend.
Celebrating Alumni Stories
Each year the Alumni Association Board selects alumni to highlight during Homecoming as a way to celebrate alumni stories. Read more stories to celebrate and past alumni award winners here.
Justin Weirch '96 is an osteopathic doctor in Fort Wayne, Ind., who -- like hundreds of other alumni in the health care field -- sacrificed additional time, and emotional and physical energy this past year due to COVID-19. Read his story.
Much has changed at Eastern Mennonite School in the 55 years since John Fairfield and Kathryn Stoltzfus Fairfield earned their high school diplomas, along with 75 classmates, in 1966. But some core elements remain steady, the couple -- now married nearly 52 years -- observes. EMS remains true to its Anabaptist roots, they say, and continues to challenge students to wrestle with what it means to be followers of Jesus, committed to peace and nonviolence. Read their story.
Photo disclaimer: EMS staff will take photos and video footage during Homecoming Weekend. Please be aware that by attending activities, you consent to being photographed and video recorded and your image may used by EMS for future promotional, publicity, and editorial purposes.