A "Family Room"
Our elementary school is thriving in our beautiful home. And yet, it is missing a "family room," a space large enough for the whole school community to come together. The Gathering Space -- an indoor/outdoor learning facility -- will fill that need.
Gathering is the “heart” of EMES. Coming together is key to our curriculum and school philosophy. It nurtures cross-grade relationships, builds trust, creates leadership opportunities, and enables us to care for one another.
In December 2019, Eastern Mennonite Elementary School moved into a building adjacent to the school's upper building for grades 6-12. The beautifully renovated building is the elementary program's first dedicated and intentionally designed space since it opened in 2005!
The Gathering Space
Thanks to the generosity of over 200 donors, we are now ready to finish designs with the Gaines Group Architects and start construction in the coming months! This new dedicated age-appropriate space for K-5 gathering will enhance learning, foster connection, and support emotional and social well-being.
During school hours, we gather to:
- celebrate during weekly gatherings where we sing, pray, and learn about Jesus. Share lunch, holidays, and special meals. Enjoy the annual Dessert Theater.
- serve by collecting donations, knotting comforters, and create gifts. Host friends and guests. Support our school during the annual Book Fair. Offer the community a space for facility rentals.
- learn to read together, see each others’ science projects, and sign our annual peace pledge. For teacher/parent meetings, 1:1 tutoring, and parent planning meetings. Play during after school care, PE, and indoor-outdoor events.
Help finish the gathering space!
- furnish the gathering space with tables, chairs, and audio visual equipment for lunch, events, and special meals
- stock the serving kitchen with a refrigerator, serving station, and rolling carts for lunch time
- hardscape the areas off of the patio to expand the outdoor dining and play areas
Contact us to request updates, ask questions, or discuss how to get involved.
A generous alumni couple has offered a $1 million challenge toward the Gathering Space. Donors responded by successfully matching this total by September of 2023.
See results from the public launch of the campaign through the Great Community Give on April 19!