The Gathering Space
A "Family Room"
Our elementary school is thriving in our beautiful home. And yet, it is missing a "family room," a space large enough for the whole school community to come together. The Gathering Space -- an indoor/outdoor learning facility -- will fill that need.
Gathering is the “heart” of EMES. Coming together is key to our curriculum and school philosophy. It nurtures cross-grade relationships, builds trust, creates leadership opportunities, and enables us to care for one another.
In December 2019, Eastern Mennonite Elementary School moved into a building adjacent to the school's upper building for grades 6-12. The beautifully renovated building is the elementary program's first dedicated and intentionally designed space since it opened in 2005. Generous donors made this possible!
We thrive in the building with:
- Natural light and access to outdoor learning spaces
- A beautiful kitchen, library, teacher work area, storage, and music
and art rooms made for children
- Spacious classrooms and flexible seating so teachers observe how students best learn and thrive.
The Gathering Space
And now it is time to complete a dedicated age-appropriate space for K-5 gathering to enhance learning, foster connection, and support emotional and social well-being. The proposed 4,800 square foot Gathering Space will meet current needs, serve the after school program, and offer a facility for broader community use.
During school hours, we gather:
- To serve:
- For lunch to sing, pray, and help each other navigate a mid-day meal.
- To serve others, collecting donations, knotting comforters, and creating gifts to share.
- To host friends from the upper building, parents, grandparents, and speakers.
- To shop and support our school during the annual Book Fair.
- To learn:
- Across grade levels to read together, see each others’ science projects, learn about and sign our annual peace pledge, and do project-based learning.
- For teacher/parent meetings, 1:1 tutoring, and parent planning meetings.
- To celebrate
- Every Wednesday to sing, pray, and learn about Jesus in a sacred space.
- To celebrate holidays and share meals, such as our international lunch.
- To see a show featuring 4th and 5th grade students, our annual Dessert Theater.
Contact us to request updates, ask questions, or discuss how to get involved.
A generous alumni couple has offered a $1 million challenge toward the Gathering Space. We are excited to have supporters already committed toward the challenge!
See results from the public launch of the campaign through the Great Community Give on April 19!