Ways to Give
Your gifts -- given in a variety of ways -- support our mission.
- Cash: Gifts of cash or its equivalent may be tax-deductible, up to 50% of your adjusted gross income (AGI) if you itemize. If the total of your charitable gifts in a given year exceeds the 50% limit, the balance can be carried over for up to five years. Please donate online or make checks payable to EMS and mail to Development, 801 Parkwood Drive, Harrisonburg, VA 22802. Recurring donations are also welcome!
- Matching Gifts: We welcome contributions that encourage others to give through matching. Also, some employers match employee charitable giving.
- Donor-Advised Funds: Consider EMS for grants and donations if you have a donor-advised fund.
- Appreciated stocks: Donating long-term appreciated securities directly to EMS rather than selling the assets and donating the cash proceeds is one of the best and easiest ways to give more. Take advantage of the applicable tax incentives, while you significantly increase the amount of funds you can donate.
- Retirement plans: Donors between the ages of 59 1/2 and 70 1/2 may withdraw funds from IRAs or other pension plans without penalty to make donations. These withdrawals will be considered taxable income, but will be offset by a charitable tax deduction, to the extent allowed by the Internal Revenue Code. Donors 70 ½ and older can make a Qualified Charitable Donation of up to $100,000 from IRAs or other pension plans, tax-free. The gift must come directly to EMS.
- Life insurance: Many people overlook the value of an insurance policy that they no longer need, but would be included in their estate. When you name EMS as the owner of a paid-up policy, the charitable deduction is generally for the policy's cash surrender value or net premiums paid on the policy.
- Real estate: A gift of real estate, which can include residences, acreage, farms, and vacation properties to EMS avoids capital gains taxes and can provide a charitable deduction for the full value of the property, subject to the 30% limitation.
- Estate Gifts: Identify EMS as a beneficiary in your estate plan and support the institution long term. Planned gifts often grow our endowment funds, ensuring gifts will continue to have positive impact far into the future. Read more about charitable planned giving.
- VA Dept of Education Improvement Scholarships Tax Credit Program: If you pay Virginia state taxes, you can complete some simple paperwork to have your gifts triple in value AND support students! Learn more.
- Cryptocurrency. We have partnered with Crypto for Charity to accept donations of crypto through this 3rd party. Click here to see view their platform.
Please consult with your financial advisor or call us. We welcome meeting with you!
Call Paul Leaman, head of school, at 540-236-6012 or email firstname.lastname@example.org