Touring Choir has, for many years, been an auditioned ensemble of approximately 40 students in 11th and 12th grades.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, the program was revamped to accommodate schedule changes and safety protocol. After a year with no programs, the 2021 choir sang their first program for a parents-only audience on May 16, 2021. You can view that here. We hope to move to more normal practice and performance opportunities in 2021-22, but adjustments will continue to be made due to the pandemic.
The choral worship service the choir leads includes repertoire from classical and contemporary sacred literature, as well as songs from a wide variety of other traditions and styles. Chamber Choir is a select group from within the Touring Choir.
Our faith in Christ is central to our identity as a choir, and we seek to sing in an attitude of worship that goes beyond performance, with a spiritual connection to God, the music, each other, and our audience. We believe choral artistic excellence and worship strengthen and reinforce each other. Eastern Mennonite School was founded over a century ago with vocal music in worship as one of its foundational values, and we are glad for the gift of this musical heritage.
The Touring Choir sings between 20 and 30 local concerts and church programs each spring (March-May) in addition to an annual out-of-state tour. The choir also tours Europe during the summer of alternating years. Recent trips have included programs in England, Scotland, The Netherlands, Germany, Austria, and Switzerland.
Our church programs are “choral worship services” instead of “concerts” intentionally — our music is about the gospel of Jesus Christ — his love for us, his death for our sins, and his resurrection. Students in our choir come from a number of different denominations and backgrounds and places on the theological spectrum, and from different stripes of Mennonite churches, as well. We focus on the center of our faith, what Christians have believed about Jesus as revealed in Scripture for 2,000 years across time and culture.
Jared Stutzman, director
Spring 2020 Touring Choir Schedule
- Sunday, March 15, 4 p.m., Eastern Mennonite School Auditorium
- Sunday, March 22, 6:30 p.m., Virginia Mennonite Retirement Community, Detweiler Auditorium
- Tuesday, March 24, 7:30 p.m., EMHS Spring Choral Concert, EMS Auditorium
- Sunday, March 29, 10:30 a.m., Springdale Mennonite Church
- Sunday, March 29, 7 p.m., Mount Clinton Mennonite Church
- Wednesday, April 1, 7 p.m., First Mennonite Church, Berne, Indiana
- Thursday, April 2, 7 pm., Shiloh Mennonite Church, Resaca, Ohio
- Friday-Sunday, April 3-5, Mennonite Schools Choral Festival, Kidron, Ohio
- Monday, April 6, 7 p.m., Bethel Mennonite Camp, Clayhole, Kentucky
- Sunday, April 19, 10:30 a.m. Massanutten Presbyterian Church
- Sunday, April 26, 10 a.m., Blessed Sacrament Church, Harrisonburg
- Sunday, April 26, 7 p.m., Harrisonburg Mennonite Church
- Sunday, May 3, 10:30 a.m., Trissels Mennonite Church
- Sunday, May 3, 5 p.m., Choral Evensong, Emmanuel Episcopal Church (Harrisonburg)
- Sunday, May 17, 10:30 a.m., Lindale Mennonite Church
- Sunday, May 17, time TBD with alumni gathering, First Mennonite Church, Richmond, Virginia
- Sunday, May 24, 9 a.m., Community Mennonite Church, Harrisonburg
- Sunday, May 24, 7 p.m. Park View Mennonite Church
- Sunday, May 31, 10:45 a.m., Zion Mennonite Church
- Sunday, May 31, 7 p.m. Weavers Mennonite Church
- Friday, June 4, 7 p.m. EMHS Commencement Concert, EMS Auditorium
- Saturday, June 5, 7 p.m., EMHS Baccalaureate Service
- June 8 to June 26 -- Tour in England, The Netherlands and Germany