Touring Choir is an auditioned ensemble of approximately 40 students in 11th and 12th grades. The choral worship service the choir leads includes repertoire from classical and contemporary sacred literature, as well as songs from a wide variety of other traditions and styles. Chamber Choir is a select group from within the Touring Choir.
Our faith in Christ is central to our identity as a choir, and we seek to sing in an attitude of worship that goes beyond performance, with a spiritual connection to God, the music, each other, and our audience. We believe choral artistic excellence and worship strengthen and reinforce each other. Eastern Mennonite School was founded over a century ago with vocal music in worship as one of its foundational values, and we are glad for the gift of this musical heritage.
The Touring Choir sings between 20 and 30 local concerts and church programs each spring (March-May) in addition to an annual out-of-state tour. The choir also tours Europe during the summer of alternating years. Recent trips have included programs in England, Scotland, The Netherlands, Germany, Austria, and Switzerland.
Our church programs are “choral worship services” instead of “concerts” intentionally — our music is about the gospel of Jesus Christ — his love for us, his death for our sins, and his resurrection. Students in our choir come from a number of different denominations and backgrounds and places on the theological spectrum, and from different stripes of Mennonite churches, as well. We focus on the center of our faith, what Christians have believed about Jesus as revealed in Scripture for 2,000 years across time and culture.
Jared Stutzman, director
Spring 2019 Touring Choir Schedule
- Sunday, March 10, 4:30 p.m., Eastern Mennonite School auditorium
- Sunday, March 17, 9 a.m., Trinity Lutheran Church
- Sunday, March 17, 7 p.m., Virginia Mennonite Retirement Community
- Tuesday, March 19, 7:30 p.m., EMHS Spring Choral Concert, auditorium
- Sunday, March 24, a.m., Mill Creek Church of the Brethren
- Sunday, March 24, 7 p.m., Mount Clinton Mennonite Church
- Sunday, March 31, a.m., Blessed Sacrament Church
- Sunday, April 7, 10:30 a.m., Lindale Mennonite Church
- Sunday, April 7, 7 p.m., Asbury United Methodist Church
- Sunday, April 14, a.m., program at Lancaster, Pa., area church (TBA)
- Sunday, April 14, afternoon program at Lancaster Mennonite School with Mennonite Schools Council Choral Festival
- Monday, April 15, 2:30 p.m., Johnstown (Pa.) Mennonite School
- Sunday, April 28, 9 a.m., Community Mennonite Church, Harrisonburg, Va.
- Sunday, April 28, 7 p.m., Harrisonburg Mennonite Church
- Sunday, May 5, 9 a.m., Crossroads Mennonite Church
- Sunday, May 5, 10:30 am., Trissels Mennonite Church
- Sunday, May 5, 5 p.m., Choral Evansong at Emmanuel Episcopal, Harrisonburg
- Sunday, May 19, 10:45 a.m., Zion Mennonite Church
- Sunday, Mary 19, 7 p.m., Park View Mennonite Church
- Sunday, May 26, 10:30 a.m., Springdale Mennonite Church, Stuarts Draft, Va.
- Sunday May 26, 7 p.m., Weavers Mennonite Church
- Friday, May 31, 7 p.m., EMHS Commencement concert
- Saturday, June 1, 7 p.m., EMHS Baccalaureate service