Join the Raise the Roof! Campaign...
We are replacing the roof on the upper campus building (middle and high school) summer 2019 and welcome donor support!
The current roof was installed in 1987 and has a number of significant trouble areas:
- The roof does not drain properly, causing significant ponding of water after a rain. Some roof drains are higher than the area around them, preventing water from draining properly.
- Seams in the rubber roof material are separating, causing frequent leaks inside the building. Much of our roof is now composed of patches, which adds more seams, increasing potential points of failure.
- 2018 had record rainfall and high humidity, and we experienced significant moisture issues throughout the building. This resulted in multiple rooms growing mold on books, furniture, and instruments. Humidity in the building created an uncomfortable work environment, caused paper jams in printers, and raised health concerns.
- Our current roof has an insulation rating of R9 (though we’re actually experiencing less than that due to its degraded condition). A new roof would give us at least R20, which will significantly improve our building’s energy efficiency and environmental comfort by addressing the humidity issues previously mentioned.
- A leaky roof creates aesthetic and public perception issues. During days of rain, buckets are placed around the building to capture water dripping from ceilings, and we often need to clean up puddles where unexpected leaks appear. Ceiling tiles frequently need to be replaced as they become stained by water.
We have an opportunity to partner with Secure Futures, LLC to install solar panels on our roof for no capital outlay, if we sign a contract in 2019. It is imperative that a new roof be installed before solar panels are installed. Solarizing our roof will be good for the environment, will provide educational opportunities for our students, and will eventually reduce our energy costs.
A new roof will carry a 20-year warranty, during which any leaks would be repaired at no cost to the school. Due to the improvements in roofing technology over the past 30+ years, a new roof should last well beyond that warranty period. A new roof will provide a more comfortable, energy efficient, healthy environment for our students and teachers. . . AND, provide us renewable energy for years to come!